Friday, January 06, 2012

ups and downs

It's amazing ... when you rely on others for your joy and satisfaction, you will be sorely disappointed - again and again. And yet, we do it, again and again.

When we rely on God and Him alone for our satisfaction, our purpose and fulfilment, it's incredible just how much our outlook changes.

I'm reminded of this yet again today when I decided to put more stock in what someone else thought of me than what God did, and guess what? It saddened me. Of course it did!

I'm working on memorizing a beautiful verse I discovered the other night during devos: Romans 15:13 - "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." (emphasis mine). I shared it with the pastor last night at pre-confession class and he excitedly told me that it is a doxology, and that this year he will be mixing it up and using different doxologies at the end of the service (a suggestion from his wife).

Even as I write this and am reminded of God's plan for my life, my pastor's encouraging words and the Word of God that is filled with encouragement and also admonishment, my Spirit is renewed and I feel at peace once again.

Those emotions can sure wreak havoc ... especially as women.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great reminder. We also had a great scripture yesterday at church..John 10:10 "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." Saying that the thief can be a number of different things that can bring us down. But we need to live a life fully for God. Situations, people or even the devil can bring us down but if we trust in God he will give us life overflowing in abundance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've definitely noticed that he's been using all kinds of different doxologies. I thought it was pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete