Sunday, January 09, 2011

track my travels - to the missions field!

On Monday, in approximately 28 hours I will be leaving for Haiti. This is a 15 year dream, happening. The reality is that I am actually going to Haiti and I'm honoured to serve these people.

Reading up on a bit of Haiti, I've discovered that:
  • there are 5,000 plant species
  • 300 different types of orchids!
  • the capital city is 1,400 miles south of NYC
  • I'm going to be warmer than I would be if I stayed in the Hammer!
and really, that's about the extent of my knowledge of this country.

I found this website - Common Haitian Creole, maybe I'll get to practice a few phrases while I'm there.

I'm going for 2 weeks and I'm not all too sure what I'm doing there ... I'll be on the construction team, but what does that mean? I don't know! But that's okay.

The organization I'm going with, Mission to Haiti Canada, has been going for many years, is well established and knows what to do - they are not unwise or reckless, they have established relationships in Haiti and there are specific guidelines as to how to conduct ourselves when we are there. We will be safe and blessed, I believe it.

I haven't written much about it, because I have NO idea what to expect. I've decided to not think about it too much, but to go in faith and anticipation of being used by God - and probably being 'ruined' for this world. I have a feeling that I will come back completely changed and although I will learn to live in Canada again, after recovering from the culture shock, a part of me will always stay there. Those are my thoughts anyhow, I won't really know until I get there, come back and start to process things.

I look forward to reporting back to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment