Monday, November 01, 2010

1 Cor. 10:13

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

While the context of this is temptation, as my friend Amanda wrote in a message to me, "i'm pretty sure the same is true for any trial. kind of like a "jehovah jirah, my provider" trend".

She also shared with me a saying I had never before heard, "God will either lighten the load or strengthen the shoulder" (or something like that).

This week has been one that has been the most draining I have experienced so far, and not just for things happening to me personally, but within my circle of friends and acquaintances as well.

Last Sunday I gratefully thanked my friends R&A for inviting me over for supper every Monday before we counted the offering. On Monday, my dear friend Ash had a huge, reusable bag full of groceries ready for me to take home, including homemade stew.

Also on Monday, my chiropractor waved my fee because I am struggling and he is gracious.

On Tuesday, I got a promotion.

On Wednesday, I totalled my car. And walked away with two bruises and nothing else, not even a ticket.

On Thursday, Mr. L drove me to and from work, the same on Friday and again today.

My friends lent me $3500 to pay my bills.

A man who I do not know, but with whom I have many mutual friends, is in hospital with a form of flesh-eating disease. He is married with 4 young children.

A young woman from church is pregnant and expecting her first with her husband and discovered she has an incompetent uterus. She is on bed-rest for at least the next 8 weeks and in hospital.

My dear friend Maeghan is serving the Haitians and is undoubtedly having her world rocked. I want her to be home and safe, and yet I am conflicted with the joy in my heart, knowing that she is doing what she is called to do.

Today I found out the doctor's found a lump on my dad's brain.

Also, the guy I like? Isn't interested. That last fact seems unbearably insignificant in light of everything else.

Every time I come up for air and take a breath, I get knocked a little further down. Every moment I think "I cannot handle anything else, my emotions are all used up", something else comes barreling my way.

And yet in all of this? I am joyful. I never thought I would know what it meant to "consider it pure joy my brothers whenever you face trials of many kinds", I often tried to fake it, but I'm in the midst of it and all I can see is God's glory shining all around. ALL AROUND. Everywhere that I see people weak and falling, I see others coming beside them and lifting them up. Each time I hear of another person wounded, I see people running to their aid. Every time I open my mouth to share what is going on, I cannot help but praise God. I survived a very scary, high-speed crash on the highway - one that I believe could quite simply have been the end. People everywhere are showing me what it means to be family, through prayers, support, hugs, encouraging words and practical ways - God is so ever-present in my life at this moment.

I am overwhelmed by God's goodness.

2 comments:

  1. My dearest Niki,

    We all go through valley's and mountains in this wonderful walk that is life. My heart is broken for you that you are experiencing a lot of time in the valley right now, but God is there too. God promised us that he would not put us through more than we can bear, even though at times it seems that way. I am glad that you trust him, and that is so evident in your daily life. I am so proud of you, you are a great woman and a great example in my own life.
    I will pray for your dad - medicine this day and age is amazing - I will pray that God will be evident in all medical decisions, I will pray that next time they scan his brain they find no lump.
    I love you Niki!!

    - Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete