Tuesday, May 09, 2006

computer's taking FORever to load...

Hey! So I know I said I would finish my recap of Sunday's sermons yesterday...but I got distracted. Worked for 7.5 hours yesterday, I really appreciate the hours I just would prefer if the hours weren't so miserable it's 1130-7, so it takes up all the good hours in the day (besides, I had chiro before that). Anyways, I shouldn't complain, I have a job and I'm making enough money to survive, with even a little extra. And for that, I am thankful. :) Yesterday was pretty funny, a customer bought me candy! I don't think we're supposed to accept gifts, but what was I supposed to do? It was a sweet little elderly Italian lady who made me take candy from her! It was out of the reduced bin, it was Easter candy and it was only 25 cents a bin (she got me two, haha). I'm not trying to justify it, it was just REALLY funny. I can't do the story justice without telling it to you in person, so ask me and I'll gladly retell it. That was probably the highlight of my day. It was also a bonus that all my buses connected (unlike last week) and I got to the doctor's and then to work on time. :)
Okay...so I'll keep the recap of Paul Carter's sermon brief. His sermon was titled "The Barbarian Priesthood" and he opened with a scene from Robin Hood when Friar Tuck got captured...still didn't understand the point of that, but it was amusing. His main point was that being a Christian is more than just developing a deeper relationship with God and fellowship with other believers. We need to take seriously the problems of the world and if we're not caring for God's people, what kind of impact are we having? We can read the Bible as many times a day as we want, we can do worship 'better' than other churches, have the coolest ministries, but if we're just reaching those who are already saved, what's the point? God calls us to go out into the world and bring the gospel to them! Paul also made a reference to a new notion that to be a Christian you have to turn your back on the church, which he disagrees with. There needs to be a healthy balance of community within the church so that you can effectively reach those outside of the church.
At least that's what I got out of it. It's likely that different people heard different things, but for me, being a missions minded person who enjoys and needs the fellowship and encouragement of other Christians within the church, that's what I got out of it. That's not to say his message fell on deaf ears because I was already doing what he suggested, by no means. I know that there's so much more that I could be doing, it's just finding where God wants me. I really enjoyed what he had to say.
Time to go for a walk, headed over to the college to ask about financial assistance and other things. Basically I just need a reason to get out of the house, I have the whole day off today. So off I go, have a great one everybody!
Love Niki

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard the 'turn your back on church' thing, but I can definitely see where it comes from. That's a dangerous philosophy to follow. If the church is broken, then fix it, don't just turn your back on it. That won't help anyone! I'm glad your pastor was warning against that as well. Sounds like a good preacher dude.

    ReplyDelete