Wednesday, August 26, 2009

crash

I just watched the movie 'crash'. It is brilliant. It is rated "Thrilling and provocative" by Ken Tucker (NY Magazine), "Two thumbs way up!" by Ebert & Roeper, "a knockout!" by Peter Travers (Rolling Stone) and Glenn Sumi (NOW Magazine) says "This film will shake you up. Leave time to talk about it afterwards."

I hope I can find friends to watch it with me, because I'm sitting here, reeling from the movie and with no one to talk to.

The movie is rated 14A for language, minor nudity and violence. I don't think I've ever heard so many 'f-bombs' in a movie before. Yet, without the language the movie wouldn't have had the same impact.

The movie follows the lives of a 'multi-ethnic cast' in LA and deals with racial assumptions, discriminations and the politics of life. There's a District Attorney and his wife, an actor/producer and his wife who gets molested by a police officer in the first 30 minutes of the movie, a number of police officers of various rankings, a store owner and his family and a locksmith and his family. There are blacks, whites, persians, hispanics and asian.

The movie would be controversial I'm sure, but what a conversation starter.

It also has an all-star cast including Sandra Bullock, Don Cheadle, Matt Dillon, Jennifer Esposito, William Fichtner, Brendan Fraser, many more names I didn't recognize but I'm sure others would.

I recommend everyone watch it, get your brains in gear and take time to contemplate it.

I'm still working through my thoughts...

3 comments:

  1. I own the director's cut edition. Josh just watched it recently, but it's been a little while for (I think it came out in 2005). I don't think I would have been able to watch it alone

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've seen it and it's definitely unsettling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen it as well and also thought it was really brilliant.
    I loved how all the storylines intersected at the end.

    ReplyDelete