Friday, August 11, 2006

Christians!!

My landlords are Christians!!! Alana and I only talked briefly about it, but very cool. My first hint was when I looked at their fridge at it had magnets with scripture verses on them! "YAY" (I thought), "but how do I talk to them about God? I'm really excited, and don't know what to say". Anyway, so I can't even remember how it was brought up, but she asked me if I go to church around here and if so, where? Unfortunately our talk was cut short because her husband called on his way home from work and she was making dinner. And also very cool, I found out they've been married for 3 years, and she's only 25. Which makes her only three years older than me, and yep, you guessed it, married at my age. whoa. She's so fun!! and nice!!!. And they have an adorable 7 week old baby, Tysen. So, yes...very excited, and life is going great.
Work: This week I worked (including the as of yet unworked hours of tomorrow) 44.5 hours, if I remember right. Next week, add 10 more hours. I picked up an extra 6 hour shift, but still it would've been more than this week regardless. I picked up Cheryl's shift because she has 3 jobs and hasn't had one day off since her bday in April. Except for 2 weeks ago when she moved...into Hatem's new house. I tried to warn her, but I didn't want to be mean to him either. Needless to say, things aren't going as she'd hoped-a week after she moved in he warned her they may need to sell the house!!! I feel so bad for her. But also, I feel really bad for them. They really need God...not that they wouldn't have any problems, but I just want them to experience what its like to have faith in a God that cares about them, personally. What a different outlook we have on life when we have God. "God, please be with my old landlords and help them to PLEASE see my faith in You. I only have a short time left working with them...let it be fruitful, guide my thoughts and let me speak only encouraging words to them, and about them. Amen". I don't know why I feel so strongly about this now, but I think I have some things to confess to God about my treatment to them. Regardless of how others treat us, we are called (and expected) to treat others as Christ has treated us, and therefore demonstrated how we need to treat others. If He could bear death on a cross for my sin...how much is it of Him to ask me to treat others kindly? Man, I screw up a lot. "God, help me".
Mrs LeaKer gave me a book of 1000 Bible promises, and I'm working through each of the verses, memorizing each one. The book is divided into topics and in alphabetical order and the first is Anger. How appropriate for my attitude towards certain people lately. Some of the verses I've memorized (or am working on) are:

The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love. Psalm 145:8
(and very similar...)
...a forgiving God, gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love. Nehemiah 9:17
Brothers listen to this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. For man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. James 1:19-20
His anger lasts only for a moment, but his favour for a lifetime. Weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning. Psalm 30:5
Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools. Ecclesiastes 7:9
A quick tempered man does foolish things. Proverbs 14:17
Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city. Proverbs 16:32
A hot tempered man stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel. Proverbs 15:18
(last one reminds me of a verse I learned as a kid: a gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger)

You know the verse, "I have hidden your Word in my heart, that I might not sin against you?" SOOOO my theme verse as of late. Not to say I'm not sinning anymore, because if that were the case, what would I need God for? And believe you me, I NEED God.
*ahhh* :)
What else is new? Well Deb is coming over tomorrow night and my place is a disaster. At least in my mind it's a disaster. I cleaned the bathroom today-minus scrubbing the tub...I need a heavy duty scouring pad for that. It probably sounds worse than it is, I can just see soap scum building up, and I want it out-but a soft sponge won't do the trick. I did the dishes, planted a tree, filed some papers, did some other organizational stuff and now I'm pooped. It's not even 10pm. I think I'm going to finish a few things, if not hanging the posters on the wall, then at least taking the sticky tack off the wall so it doesn't look so...tacky. Pardon the pun. ;) I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow. I work 9-630, dinner with the LeaKer's, hang out with Deb and then?? Paul said something about Peter being around if I wanted to do something, so its not just the two of us, and we can get other people too.
OH! (energy has returned) I'm getting really excited about starting/being involved in starting a women's bible study/ministry/something at church. I need to talk to Steve, our associate pastor. Kind of ironic, I just told him I was too busy to be involved in producing services and now I want to talk about picking up another ministry. We'll see where our talk goes. And I also need to talk to our senior pastor about missions work and meeting with a guy named Andy and discussing ministry opportunities to Peru with Compassion Canada. I think I want to work for Compassion when I graduate from Mohawk. Maybe do some flight attendant work beforehand. Who knows, MANY big plans. I've also been talking to my friend Darrell *HEY* about Black Forest Academy and Janz Ministries. AH...so many possibilities...see, I'm energetic again. :)
Now with this newly found energy I need to go tidy the living room. ...funny, I feel the energy quickly leaving. lol.
Oh, and to make this just a little bit longer ;) (I know how much Matt looooves reading long posts) I'll post my schedule for next week:
Monday 11-5 Subway; 730-midnight Sobeys
Tues 1-10 Sobeys (break from 4-530)
Wed 730am-noon Sobeys
Thur 830-5 Subway; 730-midnight Sobyes
Fri 830-6 Subway
Sat 9-630 Subway
YAY for busyness!!!
Love you all, I'm so thankful for such a great bunch of friends. God bless you all!!!
Love Niki :o)

4 comments:

  1. Weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning. Psalm 30:5

    This is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, I like that you talked about your day and randomly threw in that you planted a tree. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't really plant many trees. But hey, that's just me. I also don't do much cleaning, so maybe it is just me......
    Also, you have a friend named Peter, and a friend named Paul, and when someone isn't paying attention they might think you were talking about some early apostles. And then they think you're crazy because you talk to people who have been dead for 2000 years. Or maybe that's just me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah darrell...always great for a laugh. thanks for pointing out all the randomness, and yes the 'peter/paul' thing has been laughed over MANY times. ah. still laughing. i'll laugh myself to sleep now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you, daughter of mine! May God continue to guide and keep you! I'm also grateful for all the wonderful christians you're surrounded with. XO!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete