Tuesday, January 29, 2008

art galleries make my head hurt

I'm doing a report on the Art Gallery of Hamilton and ugh... It's due on Friday, worth 15%, and I'm only starting now. Truthfully I have no desire to do this report, it's for a class that is more or less a waste of time and just one extra thing for me to do. The class is called Active Citizenship-so that we grow to be mature, contributing, wonderful members of society. This is how I explained it to Laura earlier:

"this class is a waste of time. They ask you to do things that if you're an active citizen, they are things you're already doing; if you're not, it's just going to make you embittered and angry about not just the class but towards all the things they're trying to make you value and see as important"

This class is mandatory for all Mohawk students, unfortunately though it does not tie into ANY student's program. So far I have learned to define what my personal values are, gave baked goods to some teachers, and am writing a paper on an art gallery downtown that I've never been to and have no interest in. They're trying to make us cultured, but really I think I'm pretty well-rounded as is. As for the baking, we were expected to do something nice for someone and record their reactions. One of her suggestions? Volunteer for ten (count em, T-E-N) whole minutes to help someone. Seriously? If you're going to volunteer to do something, do it because you want to-not because you've been TOLD to. So I asked if it would be okay to bring in some baked goods for our teachers-a little more lasting, and a little more effort. (unfortunately I ran out of time and had to buy my baked goods...but let's forget that part) Anyways, I went into this class with a positive attitude but it's a joke to me. Even my classmates have suggested that with all my volunteer work and involvement in the community I should be exempt. *sigh* I'm not trying to brag, I just think this is ridiculous. Oh, and did I mention that not ONE teacher teaches the class the same way? I'm lucky to have one who doesn't have tests and who allows us to do all our research online; other teachers have already given tests and require that students go to the places they're researching-which is just one extra thing that we obviously have time for.

Rant about A.C. is over.

I logged on here to share something funny a friend sent me.

Why Women are Better than Men.

1. We got off the Titanic first.
2. We can scare male bosses with the mysterious gynecological disorder excuses.
3 Taxis stop for us.
4. We don't look like a frog in a blender when dancing.
5. No fashion faux pas we make, could ever rival the Speedo.
6. We don't have to pass gas to amuse ourselves.
7. If we forget to shave, no one has to know.
8. We can congratulate our teammate without ever touching her rear end.
9. We never have to reach down every so often to make sure our privates are still there.
10. We have the ability to dress ourselves.
11. We can talk to the opposite sex without having to picture them naked
12. If we marry someone 20 years younger, we are aware that we will look like an idiot.
13. We will never regret piercing our ears
14. There are times when chocolate really can solve all your problems.
15. We can make comments about how silly men are in their presence because they aren't listening anyway.

Good for a chuckle eh?  I'm sure mom will repost this on her blog too. :)  

I have to go back to that assignment now...

edit: (11:20 pm) I just realized that we DO have a test in that stupid class.  I remember now, only because she's giving us some of the questions before the test.  I guess she's a nice teacher, it's just the content I don't like.  I've now finished my research and am working on putting the report together.

3 comments:

  1. You read my mind, before I even had the thought :), actually I thought you might not want me to pinch it, but, I see you expect me to. OK, thanks.
    What do you dislike about art galleries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you read the first part of my blog? I had to write a paper for a silly class on an art gallery...that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I thought you dislike them, so it's just the schoolwork you dislike. Look at it as expanding your mind. But stop before it blows. :)

    ReplyDelete