Sunday, November 25, 2007

None But Jesus: a reflection

This morning in church we sang the song None But Jesus sung by Hillsongs United. Here are the lyrics:

In the quiet, in the stillness
I know that You are God
In the secret of Your presence
I know there I am restored

When You call I won't refuse
Each new day again I'll choose

There is no one else for me
None but Jesus
Crucified to set me free
Now I live to bring him praise

In the chaos, in confusion
I know You're soverign still
In the moment of my weakness
You give me grace to do Your will

When You call I won't delay
This my song of all my days

All my delight is in You Lord
All of my hope, all of my strength
All my delight is in You Lord
Forevermore

I've often questioned my own motives (and being the judgmental human that I am, I've watched and judged others too, I regret) for singing songs. Do I really mean what I'm singing? Do I just get caught up in the lyrics? Is my heart in the right place? Why am I singing? Is it to put on a show, or is it to worship my Lord, my God?

None but Jesus, that's a lot to be singing if I don't really mean it. Do I honestly mean NONE BUT JESUS? Am I alone satisfied in God's will for my life, even if that means staying single? Never having a family of my own? Even not having a boyfriend? EVER?

I believe God's will for my life is better than anything I could ever ask for or imagine. Which is why this morning in worship I gave it to him, all of it-my plans, my ideas for what would be best direction for my life. He's got it. All of it. Because I want ALL MY DELIGHT to be in God...not in my idea of a perfect husband, not even in the vision of holding my precious baby when she smiles for the first time. These are beautiful, but where I'm at right now is that God alone is beautiful. He knows what's best. Until he tells me otherwise, I'm a happy single woman who has a new love that surpasses anything this world has to offer.

1 comment:

  1. Wow girl! That's the best way; It's also hard for us to submit, even though we know that God knows best. We're usually scared it's not what we want.
    Wow girl, I'm so glad you're staying close to our Lord.
    Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete